Wednesday 28 September 2011

Thinker

Woke up this morning and was pleased to see that it's a pleasant day. However one thing is different, the temperatures in the morning have dropped to single digits, which to me is a bad thing. In Vancouver, that means summer is REALLY over and fall is coming FAST. Now that I mention it, faster than usual.

Lately my brother and I have been cracking jokes about the weather here, and how we didn't really get much of a summer. However there is truth to this, overall, we really didnt have much of a summer. May, June, and July were write offs, I dont remember there being any streaks of sunshine, and I recall still having to wear some sort of jacket to work in June.

Bottom line is, the weather in Vancouver is getting noticeably worse every year, and our summers are getting shorter and shorter. Some would say that we did have a summer, but I'm sorry, 2 weeks of sun with a few peeks thrown in here and there does NOT count as a summer. I still remember back in highschool our summer's would start in May, and wouldnt end until at least the end of September.

But I digress, this is Vancouver after all, so there's absolutely nothing I can do except go on Vacation.

Now that my weather rant is out of the way, there's still this issue of never ending nostalgia that I cant seem to shake. One thing I've learned about myself over the years is that I'm a thinker. If something is bothering me, I have a really hard time letting it go.


I wish I could dig deep into my brain (not physically) and really find the root of the problem. I use to think that it was just post vacation syndrome, but it could be a mixture of things at play.


1. Being that this was my first major vacation, I think the transition from vacation mode > work mode hit me hardest. The end of our vacation was like slamming into a brick wall at 100km/h. You're cruising along then BOOM. Its over. For me, it was alot to deal with seeing as up until recently, the longest vacation I've taken in the past 5 (ish) years was 4 days, and it was only a long weekend.


2. This one ties into the vacation mode > work mode theory, but coming back from vacation to colder, and generally more depressing weather probably didnt help my transition. I feel as though it has made my recovery lengthier than it would have been had we returned mid-summer as opposed to the end of summer.


3. I overlooked this one, but after some thinking, it is quite significant. Going back to school should never be looked at negatively, however I believe it is creating some underlying anxiety for me. Anxiety knowing that during my time in school, I WILL be wanting to get away with Maggie, I WILL want to be able to surprise her with the things she wants, and I will be wanting to spend time with her. Another major point is that this will probably my last major vacation with her until I'm done with school, and it's alot to digest.

I believe I'm looking at it more as a countdown to when the life I've become accustomed to will come to an end. I will no longer have the freedom of going and doing as I please with a fulltime job. I will be confined to the books, and any spare time will be spent with my one and only.

I've told her before, but I dont think she knows just how much motivation she is for me. If it weren't for Maggie I probably wouldnt even have considered going back to school.


4. As I stated in my previous posts, our vacation was simply amazing. Although it was a real eye opener, I'll never forget any of it, and I think thats why I'm having such a hard time letting it go







No comments:

Post a Comment