Tuesday 27 September 2011

Living in the past

Its been less than 24 hours since I created this blog, and up until now I've had mixed feelings about it. Should I blog? No not right now, I really feel like blogging right now etc. I havent really tinkered with image uploading just yet as I've only blogged at work ever since it's creation, but for now it serves as a good journal.

But today on this semi-grey-sometimes-sunny-sometimes rainy and seemingly November-ish day in September, I find myself thinking back to pre-flight to Hong Kong. To be specific, the Saturday before our flight and onwards.

This is the day when my excitement levels really started to rise and I was getting giddy inside with anticipation. This particular Saturday wasnt exactly an exciting day for everyone, Adam was being taken to the airport where he would embark on a journey to Antigua, where he will be residing for the next 7 years while he pursues his dream of becoming a doctor.

Tears were shed and goodbyes were said, however I know that everyone was proud of Adam for following his dream.

Once we saw Adam off, Mr. and Mrs. Lee headed back home, while Maggie and I decided to go grab a late snack downtown at Gyoza King, but not before Mrs. Lee said to us, "next week will be your turn!"

And this is when my excitement levels would begin to rise knowing that in just 7 short days we would be waiting at our gate for our flight!

We had a busy week ahead of us, filled with small events here and there, a hotpot dinner to commemorate our first date, attending an unofficial revscene meet, going to the PNE etc. This specific week was probably the only week during our "summer" here in Vancouver that actually felt like summer, at least to me anyway..


You know that feeling, being able to be out at night while still only wearing a t-shirt, enjoying the company of friends and loved ones, late nights out, that smell of summer nights, the way the sky looks when the sun is setting all of which can only be experience for a few short months every year.

But as we all know, when you're excited for something, the days leading up to it seem to drag on forever, but in this case I really didnt mind.

Friday September 2 brought back many memories. No matter how much work piled up on my desk, it didnt seem to matter. No matter how complicated or bland the task was, it didnt matter. As 5pm drew closer and closer, I started packing up my things at work and bolted out the door to go home and get ready. Maggie and I went to the PNE after work, the work day was so-so with some light rain but in the end it cleared up for us and we were able to enjoy our night out, filled with bbq chicken, burgers, corndogs, kisses, and browsing the market, just as we did last year. The night ended somewhat early as we were both a little tired from the work week. We drove back to her place, dropped her off and I proceeded home to end a great Friday night =)

When that Saturday came, I was on a high, I felt great. My love and I had gone to the PNE the night before and the sun was shining, signaling that it would be a great (but busy) day.

My morning/afternoon started with Maggie calling to wake me up, and I think one of the first things I said was I was going to go to Best Buy to buy a case mate pop case for my galaxy s2, as this would serve as my camera for the duration of our trip.

I spend my down time at work/home remembering this day specifically, especially the final hours before leaving my house. The last minute packing matched with excitement and anticipation was enough to put smiles on every single face in a detention hall. Then those words were said by my dad "Mom's home, bring your luggage down and lets go!"

Every minute that passed after this was electrifying, just knowing that in a few short hours we'd be boarding a plane to the other side of the world! 

It was a clear crisp evening, but still warm enough for a t-shirt. We pulled up to Maggie's house, went inside and prepped our baggage for the flight. (Might I add this was the first meeting of our parents)


After some chatting inside, Mr. and Mrs. Lee instructed us to head outside, as we had to leave to meet our check in time at the airport. So we said goodbyes to my parents, and headed out to Richmond on a clear summer evening.


(If you cant already tell, the anticipation for our trip was a big thing for me)


It felt like the ride to the airport took 4 hours, but I sat there beside Maggie and just archived the drive as part of our Hong Kong journey, watching everything go by and listening to Mr and Mrs Lee give Maggie more info and tips about our trip.


Once we arrived, we spent the next 2 hours grabbing a snack at subway, browsing the duty free shops that were still open, snapping some pics, waiting patiently at our gate, and making small trips to the bathroom to brush our teeth.


Then finally at about 2am Vancouver time, it was time to board!


I now know what Maggie meant before when she said she likes having something to look forward to, because now that we're back I really feel as if we dont really have much to look forward to in the near future and this is why I find myself thinking back so often to the week of August 28-September 4 2011.

Ive been really nostalgic ever since our return, and although my wife says not to be living in the past I really can't help myself.  Although I vocalize it almost every other hour it seems, I dont think anyone knows just how much fun I had, and just how much I miss everything about our trip, including the days leading up to it.

I cant seem to let it go..I feel like everywhere I look, SOMETHING will remind me of our trip or the days leading up to it, causing my mind to fixate on it shutting down all activity while I reminisce, making me wish that we were back in Hong Kong


I hope I return to normal soon

No comments:

Post a Comment